Friday, January 8, 2016

The BIG 10


My husband and I have been married for a decade today. WOW. I swear it doesn’t seem that long.

I never doubted we’d make it this far. I was only 23 when I got married and was apprehensive about leaving a wonderful life behind and relocate to Singapore to ‘begin’ a new life. I thought I was the epitome of composure as I waved goodbye to my beloved family and boarded the flight at Bangalore to depart to Singapore. But as the plane was taxiing off the runway, reality finally sunk in and I sobbed hysterically for a good 10 minutes as my husband did his best to comfort me. I had no clue about running a household on my own. Back then, I didn’t even know how to cook or clean that much. But his maturity came in handy when he stepped in and made things so much easier on me. 

One of the first memories I have of being a new bride are entering our tiny two-bedroom condo in Singapore for the first time. He had thoughtfully taken the time to thoroughly clean up the place so I would feel welcome (it is another thing that I began redecorating the minute after he left for work 😁). Our first home looked like a doll house to me and I loved it from the first sight. I made a lot of goofy new-bride blunders but we both had a good laugh about it. I think it’s safe to say I’ve matured a lot over the years. Becoming home owners and having kids will certainly do that to you (or at least it should).

Those first years were blissful. I had decided to take a short break from my career so I dived head-first into the domestic scene. We went out for movies, dined at restaurants, had friends and family visiting every now and then, went on innumerable holidays and enjoyed life to the fullest. We wanted to have children but didn’t rush into it and that is something I have absolutely no regrets about. 

After the birth of our twins, our life has indeed changed. Things haven't always been rosy but as a couple I’d like to believe that our bond has become stronger and there is nothing we cannot handle together. They say marriage is hard work but it honestly never felt like that to me. It hasn't always been hearts and unicorns but it hasn't been daggers either. Raising kids is hard work I admit but marriage has been a fairly smooth journey so far. 

He is the kind who doesn’t talk much but is observant and considerate. He is the kind who will remember a casual remark about something I liked and then gift it to me months later. He is the kind who will pester me to sit with him and watch sports but also join me when I’m watching a cookery show, sappy drama, fashion police or a chick-flick. He is the kind who doesn’t say “I love you” everyday but will do something thoughtful every now and then that serves as a reminder that he does. He is the kind to understand my interests and capabilities and then motivate me in that direction sometimes even at the cost of his own comfort. He is the kind who loves and respects my family just as much as he does his own. He is the kind who will cook for my friends. He is the kind who will sweep and mop the floors while I am busy with other chores. He is the kind who will thoroughly research household cleaning products and techniques so that our home is always spic and span. He is the kind who will readily babysit the kids if I need time for myself. He is the one person who knows more about me than I do myself. He is smart, patient, resourceful and kind. Most importantly, he is a great listener and I enjoy his company. 

Sweetie, I know you will read this post so I would like to publicly declare that I love you more than words can say (which is so cliché, but so true). I don't care if this post embarrasses you. You have made me feel like the single most important thing in your life for the last 10 years for which I feel blessed. We are opposite in a lot of respects - I am an extrovert, adaptable, dynamic, restless and impulsive whereas you are an introvert, resolute, laid-back, calm and contemplative. Like they say - opposites attract. I am so lucky to have found someone who is broad-minded, sensible, non-judgmental, respects women, helps around the house and shares parenting responsibilities. Although not many people are aware of this, but you can be quite witty and funny. You have made me laugh a lot and even though we have had our petty squabbles, I can honestly say that I can’t remember a single one as I’m writing this piece. I know that you love listening to me because I can be so animated and dramatic (and maybe even comical) which I really love about you 😊

Thank you for being practical and balancing me out sometimes, when I get a little less-than-practical and emotional. We share a common love for movies, books, food & travel which has provided a treasure trove of memories over the years. I love that we can hang out together and be completely content even when some of our interests differ. Over the years, you have introduced me to many things and I would like to think that I have introduced to some things as well (you have turned out into such a good cook, haven't you?). Thank you for labelling all my spice jars with your label-maker even when I made fun of you and called you loony. Thank you for being our resident bug exterminator, handyman, plumber & indoor gardener. Thank you for supporting me when I was doing my Masters and used to come home at unearthly hours. Thank you for standing by me when I was struggling to get my first job after graduation. You provided a listening ear for all my rants and a shoulder to cry on during that frustrating period. Thank you for being my interior decorating partner when we did up our new home together. We had a blast didn't we? Thank you for looking after me during my roller coaster of a pregnancy. You have seen me throw-up all over myself in a crowded restaurant and that you didn't laugh or get embarrassed by it proves you are a nice fella (I personally think I would have laughed out loud if the roles were reversed). Thank you for supporting my decision to take a temporary break from my job to look after our daughters. I know whatever decision I make in the future, you will be behind me a hundred percent so thank you in advance. Thank you for not just sharing a house with me, but for truly sharing your LIFE with me. You have shared with me your innermost secrets, thoughts, beliefs and dreams and I hope that even when we celebrate our 50th anniversary (if both of us are still around), things remain the same. You are my best friend and there's no one I'd rather spend my life with than you. There are still many more things that I love about you but I'm going to stop here lest I sound like some silly love-struck school girl 😛


Happy anniversary dearest. Here’s to many many more….


P.S. - I hope this post has inspired you to contribute more guest posts on the blog. I didn't mention even one of your exasperating traits (which you have lots of by the way)  *laughs cheekily*



Cheers,
Megha

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post? You can leave a message to let me know. Thanks!

Please note that I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, offensive, spam or self-advertising. I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...