Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Recipe of the month: Mango Chia Pudding


Mango season is here and these plump, luscious, tropical beauties have started to make an appearance in farmer's markets and grocery stores. My family bends the knee to the King of fruits and hence, we are all thrilled to bits. I'm pretty sure that we will be devouring mangoes like it is our part-time job for the next several weeks 😊

Every year (since the past few years), I have been posting a mango-based recipe during mango season.  Check out my previous Easy Mango Sorbet, Fresh Mango Cake with Chocolate Collar, Tropical Mango Cupcakes and Pavlova with Mango and Passionfruit for some mango inspiration. This year, I had a few on my mind and this mango chia pudding happened to be one of them. 

If you know anything about my lifestyle at all, you will be aware that I have developed a keen interest in fitness and healthy eating since the past 2 years. Although I never restrict myself from eating the foods I love, I often design my meals to contain ingredients that are nutritious and preferably lower in carbohydrates. Chia seeds contain omega-3 fatty acids, protein, antioxidants, and fiber. Despite their ancient history as a dietary staple, chia seeds became recognized as a modern-day superfood only recently. When mixed with water or milk the seeds swell in size and becomes gel-like. They are digested slowly, keeping one feeling full for longer and maintaining stable blood sugar levels. I make full use of the benefits of chia seeds and add them regularly to my oatmeal and smoothies. 

Combine chia seeds and mangoes and you end up with something pretty special. Preparation of this mango chia pudding is a breeze with only a handful of ingredients and no cooking necessary (just let your fridge do the work). The best part is that you don't even have to follow a strict recipe. Get creative and toss in whatever ingredients you feel like. There is no right or wrong folks.


Simple, creamy, fragrant with just the right amount of sweetness, this mango chia pudding makes for a healthy breakfast, midday snack or a refreshing post-dinner dessert. It is gluten-free and can be made vegan (just use almond, soy or thin coconut milk in the recipe). 

I'm hoping to bring you another mango recipe before the season ends *fingers crossed*

Try this recipe and you will thank me you did 😊

Mango Chia Pudding

Preparation time: 15 mins + refrigeration time for the chia seeds
Makes: 4 servings
Recipe category: Western/Breakfast/Dessert
Recipe level: Very easy

Ingredients:

1.5 cups (~350ml) milk of choice (whole milk/skim milk/almond milk/thin coconut milk), refer notes
1/2 cup (80g) chia seeds
1 large ripe  banana, sliced
2 large ripe mangoes, chopped (reserve some for garnish)
2 tbsp maple syrup or honey

For garnish (Optional)
Toasted chopped nuts of choice
Chopped mango pieces
Toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
Fresh mint leaves

Method:

1. In an airtight jar, mix together the milk, chia seeds, and 2 tbsp of maple syrup or honey.

2. Close lid and refrigerate for at least an hour (preferably overnight)

3. In a blender, combine most of the mango (remember to keep aside some for garnish) with the sliced banana and blend until smooth.

4. Layer the chia mixture and pureed mango-banana evenly among 4 small glasses.

5. Garnish with chopped mango pieces, toasted nuts, coconut flakes and a sprig of mint.

6. Serve chilled


Notes:
  • The mangoes you choose should be firm yet yield to the touch. Ripe and sweet mangoes work the best in this recipe
  • I usually use low-fat (skim) milk to make mango chia pudding. But I do add 1-2 tbsp of thickened coconut cream to make up to the 1.5 cups of liquid stated in the recipe. I find the coconut cream adds a lovely richness and natural sweetness to the pudding. You could do the same with other varieties of milk (except of course, when you are using coconut milk)
  • You could use a pinch of spice powders like cinnamon and/pr cardamom for some extra flavour
  • Apart from toasted nuts and coconut flakes, you could also garnish the pudding with pumpkin seeds or hemp seeds



Cheers,
Megha

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post? You can leave a message to let me know. Thanks!

Please note that I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, offensive, spam or self-advertising. I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...