Monday, July 25, 2022

Recipe of the month: Aish El Saraya (Lebanese Bread Pudding)


It is a well established fact among my family members (both immediate and extended) that I love to cook and try new recipes all the time. So when someone from my family comes across an interesting recipe that worked for them, they probably don't think twice before suggesting the recipe to me ๐Ÿ˜€ I welcome these recommendations with open arms! 

One of my aunts who lived in the Middle East for many years, sent me this recipe for Aish El Saraya aka Lebanese Bread Pudding at the start of the pandemic. With lockdowns and work from home being enforced, I had a lot more time on my hands than usual to get the culinary juices flowing. 

Aish El Saraya is a popular and delicious no-bake Middle Eastern dessert. Aish El Saraya translates in Arabic to “the bread of the palaces ". This dessert is essentially an aromatic bread pudding. 

I not only love Middle Eastern food (as I have reiterated many times) but I love their desserts as well especially baklava, kรผnefe, halva and rice pudding. The use of nuts, rose water and citrus hints in their desserts greatly appeals to my palate so I was eager to try a Middle Eastern dessert recipe that I had previously never heard of. 

Aish El Saraya needs only a few ingredients and comes together fairly quickly. It is the perfect dessert to make while entertaining as it can be made ahead of time. It is also eggless so it caters to those who don't consume eggs or dislike the smell. I have made this dessert many times and I've noticed that it appeals to both adults and kids alike. My kids absolutely love it. The appearance of this dessert with the mauve-green pistachios and the pretty edible rose petals along with the aroma of the orange and rose water makes this dessert feel exotic and enticing. 


There are three main components to this dessert. The bottom layer, i.e. the base, is made out of white bread. Toasted stale white bread is what is preferred. For me, using toasted store-bought rusk for this dessert is a no-brainer because I like the spongy cake-like base compared to the softer bread base texture. A simple syrup consisting of sugar, water, orange blossom water, lemon juice and rose water is then made which is poured over the rusks. This imparts both sweetness and fragrance. Then comes the milk custard topping which is the star of the dessert. It is so good, you can eat it just as it is! It is made with whole milk, full-fat condensed milk and whipping cream. Corn flour is used to thicken it and it is flavoured with rose water and orange blossom water. The milk custard gives the pudding that lovely creamy texture, just the right amount of sweetness and a delightful perfume. The dessert is garnished with crushed pistachios and edible rose petals that enhances its color, flavor, and texture.

At any given time I have milk, sugar, whipping cream, pistachios, corn flour, citrus fruits and rose water in my kitchen so I typically have to buy only the rusk and condensed milk to make this dessert. Initially, I checked the availability of orange blossom water and although available in Singapore, I felt like the ingredient would just be idling away in my pantry as this is the only dish I would ever use it for so I substituted it with grated orange zest. It worked out pretty well so I have just continued to do that. Please go ahead and use orange blossom water if you have it or are inclined to buy it. You could also use a few drops of orange essence or a few tablespoons of orange liqueur instead. 


I have made this Lebanese bread pudding at least half a dozen times and have optimized the ingredient quantities it to perfectly fit a 8x8 inch square (metal or glass) dish which to me, is just right for dinner parties. You could use a round dish but cutting the rusks to fit the bottom might be cumbersome. A square or rectangular dish are the more suitable choices. I also cut down on the sweetness in the original recipe to suit my preferences. No one who has tried my rendition has yet complained that the dessert isn't sweet enough so I'm sticking with my modification ๐Ÿ˜Š Feel free to dial up the sweetness if that is how you prefer your dessert. 

I really hope you try this recipe folks because trust me, it is a keeper.

Aish El Saraya (Lebanese Bread Pudding)

Preparation time: 30-40 min
Setting time: 5-6 hours or overnight
Serves: 5-6
Recipe category: Middle Eastern/Dessert
Recipe level: Easy
Recipe source: Adapted from here

Ingredients:

For the rose water syrup:
3/4 cup white refined sugar
1/4 tsp grated orange zest and a few drops of orange juice
3/4 tbsp rose water
3/4 tbsp lemon juice
3/4 cup water

For the custard:
350ml whole milk
250gm (~1/2 cup + 1/3 cup) sweetened full-fat condensed milk
200ml whipping cream (30-35% milk fat)
2 tsp rose water
1/4 tsp orange zest
4 tbsp corn flour

Other ingredients:
24-26 toasted bread rusks (approx. 280gm or 9.8 oz.)
Shelled and crushed pistachios, for garnish
Edible rose petals, for garnish (Optional)

Method:

1. To make the rose water syrup, place sugar, lemon juice and water in a medium saucepan. Stir over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Stir in rose water, orange zest and orange juice. Cool for 10 minutes.




2. Place half of the rusks in a single layer in a 8x8 inch square dish, cutting to fit. You can use any brand of rusk but the Britannia brand of milk rusk is what I prefer. It comes with two individually wrapped packs, each of which is enough to make one dessert. Pour half the quantity of the rose water syrup over the rusks in the dish. Top the first layer with another layer of rusks, cutting to fit as before. Drizzle the rusks with the remaining rose water syrup.






3. Mix the corn flour in 1/4 cup cold milk (taken from the 350ml whole milk) until smooth. Combine the milk, whipping cream, condensed milk and corn flour paste in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly, for 6-8 min until mixture boils and turns to a thick custard-like consistency. The custard should be nicely THICK (but still have a pouring consistency) otherwise the rusks will lift up when you pour it over them. Switch off the flame. Stir in rose water and orange zest. Let it cool until lukewarm. Stir occasionally to prevent skin formation. 



4. Pour the custard over the top layer of rusks arranged in the dish. When it reaches room temperature, sprinkle with pistachios and rose petals. Cover the dish with cling wrap or aluminum foil.



4. Refrigerate for 5-6 hours or preferably overnight. Cut with a sharp knife into small square or rectangular portions and serve cold.


5. You could serve this dessert at the end of a homemade Middle Eastern mezze platter to impress your guests. Alternatively, this dessert compliments Indian food really well too ๐Ÿ˜Š


Notes:
  • If you don't have rusk, you could use toasted stale white bread 
  • Use whole milk and full-fat condensed milk for best results
  • If the rusks lift up when you pour the custard over the top, it means the consistency of the custard isn't thick enough
  • You can use orange blossom water, orange essence or orange liqueur instead of orange zest 
  • You can use walnuts or hazelnuts instead of pistachios for the garnishing but keep in mind, it won't look as attractive
  • This dessert keeps well in the fridge for 3-4 days


Cheers,
Megha

1 comment:

  1. This is really interesting, you are a very talented blogger.
    I joined your feed and I'm looking forward to it
    I am looking for more of your great articles. I also shared your website on my social network!
    Lumion Pro Crack
    Ableton Live Crack
    FL Studio Crack
    Garageband Crack Torrent

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of this post? You can leave a message to let me know. Thanks!

Please note that I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, offensive, spam or self-advertising. I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...