Wednesday, May 6, 2015

10 things I love about my hometown


This post has been in the pipeline for a while now. I can't believe it has taken me such a long time to express my thoughts on my beloved hometown, Mysore. 

My hometown is where a piece of my heart is. Even after being away for more than a decade, I still have an incredibly powerful connection to Mysore. I never had to leave the city in order to appreciate it. It is where I grew up, went to school, met my best friends, spent countless summer holidays with my cousins, embarked on my career path, graduated from professional college, forged innumerable happy memories with my family and friends, the place I left behind when I got married and the place I keep itching to get back to whenever the opportunity arises. It is at the crux of all my childhood memories. It is an integral part of me. 

JSS Dental College & Hospital

To give you a bit of background, I was born in the United Kingdom where I spent my early childhood followed by a few years in the Middle East before my parents decided to settle down in India for good. At the time, almost all my extended family were flocking to Bangalore which was (at the time) considered a great place to live in. But my parents made the unconventional decision to move to neighbouring Mysore, a much smaller and quieter city located about 150 km away from Bangalore. I was an eight-year old girl with missing teeth and pigtails when I arrived in Mysore for the very first time. 

Railway Station

Although it is the third largest city in the state of Karnataka, Mysore to me has always seemed quite compact. It is a city that is well-planned, uncrowded and has an inherently laid-back vibe. The cultural and historical ambience of the city embellished with music, art, paintings and dance exhibit the influence of the Vijayanagara Empire and Wodeyar dynasty thus earning the sobriquet 'Cultural Capital of Karnataka'. Mysore is renowned for its grand palaces, majestic temples, beautiful gardens and colorful festivals which imparts an old world charm to the city. 

Chamaraja Circle

When describing Mysore, the words cosmopolitan or cool will probably be the last that come to mind. The urban youth may likely find it a dull place to live in but I personally wouldn't have it any other way. 

When it comes to leisure, the city has always had plenty of spacious family-friendly restaurants, iconic hole-in-the-wall eateries and quaint ice-cream parlors. I fondly remember enjoying meals at Dasaprakash Paradise, Jewel Rock, Grand Maurya, Olive Garden, Southern Star, King's Court, The Green Hotel, Roost, Royal Inn, Metropole and Nalpak with my family; The Old House, Dosa Point,  Downtown, Bombay Tiffanys, Indra Cafe Paras with my siblings & cousins; Dolphin, Penguin, Big Bite, Hotel RRR & Vinayaka Mylari among many others with my college friends.

Penguin

Dolphin

Vinayaka Mylari

Bombay Tiffanys

Indra Cafe Paras

The Old House

There are enough cinema theatres which is how I remember spending most of my weekends growing up. Catching the latest Hindi movies at Woodland & Lido theatres, English movies at Sterling theatre & Tamil movies at Rajkamal theatre brings back a lot of memories. And if you were wondering, I watched Kannada movies in the theatre in Tumkur (and seldom Mysore) 😀

Rajkamal Theatre

One of the grooviest places that my friends and I would hangout was at Planet X. We would go bowling, go-karting, check out the gaming arcade, dabble in billiards and mini golf and end the evening with snacks beverages and dinner. Those were some good times!

Planet X

For the longest time, Mysore didn't have any pubs, breweries, clubs, discos, lounges or any such happening hangout spots. Even good coffee shops and cafes were a rarity. The first shopping mall opened only a few years ago and the first-ever McDonalds made an appearance not too long ago. 

But having said that, urbanization has finally struck the city and Mysore has been changing at a frantic pace. It is becoming an active location for IT companies, BPO firms and is the first choice for a short weekend getaway for people living in Bangalore. In recent times, it has been getting rather crowded on weekends (and more so on long weekends). New apartment complexes, shopping malls, multiplexes, fast food chains, trendy bakeries, swanky hotels and specialty grocery stores seem to be mushrooming left right and center. The traffic has increased substantially from how it was when I left. My worst nightmare will be Mysore transforming into present-day Bangalore *shudder* I fervently hope that unfortunate day never comes.

SAPA Bakery

Here are 10 reasons why I love my hometown:

1. Distance Doesn't Matter

Every once or twice a year that I'm in  Mysore on holiday, I inevitably have a to-do list that appears longer than the Nile. I always have to go to the tailor, the bangle store, the supermarket, the sweet shop, the dry cleaners, the jewellers, the bank, to the city center for retail therapy, to the cobbler, the salon, my ever expanding list of favourite eateries and so on. I'm like a Tasmanian devil zipping through the city. The best part is that I can get almost everything done in a day or two because I hardly waste any time on the road. In Mysore, you can go from one end of the city to the other within 30 mins flat. No amount of commuting within the city takes long enough to cause grievance. The city has been meticulously planned with wide roads and the option of several ways to get to a particular place. Getting things done is a cinch and the convenience is one of the main reasons why I am the number one fan of my hometown. 

Chikka Gadiyara

2. No Traffic Woes

Traffic is one of my pet-peeves. You wouldn't want to be stuck in a traffic jam with me because I would vex you with my relentless muttering and grumbling. Unfortunately, notorious traffic snarls are a common feature among big metropolitan cities and there is no escaping it. 

However, being a relatively smaller city, the busiest road in Mysore city will have fewer cars than a supposedly quiet residential street in Bangalore. Parking is usually not an issue apart from a few of the main roads in the city center. Road rage is not something I have ever witnessed (is it just me?). Furthermore, heavy traffic jams within the city are virtually non-existent. Pray tell me, what could be better? 

"Welcome" lights on Chamundi Hills

3. Peace and Quiet

Mysore is notorious for being a "sleepy city" but I consider this one of the city's biggest perks. I am probably, an old soul at heart but with today's faced-paced chaotic lifestyle, endless competition and undue stresses, I feel like you have to be blessed to be living in halcyon times. Forget about the fun and excitement that a big city can offer - if every mundane aspect of day to day life breaks your spirit, then you know that you are not living in an environment that is good for you. 

KRS Backwaters

Whenever I leave Mysore to travel to one of the bigger cities, I feel like I have been pulled out of a tranquil resort and thrust into a boisterous circus.

To those of you who find Mysore dull and boring - please continue to feel that way and don't come over and ruin it for the rest of us peace-loving oldies 😜

Kukkarahalli Kere

4. Cultural Capital of Karnataka

Mysore has a documented history that dates back a thousand years. The name Mysore stems from the mythical history of the city as a place where the demon Mahishasura was slain by Goddess Chamundeshwari. A large statue of the demon Mahishasura sits atop Chamundi Hill to commemorate the event. 

Mysore is known for its glittering royal heritage, rich culture and magnificent historic monuments and buildings. Known as the "City of Palaces", there are not one, not two but SEVEN palaces within the the city, all stunning in their own regard. There is royalty coursing through this city which is discernible and we residents feel royal by sheer association 😄

The main Mysore palace is a sight to behold especially when lit up at night. For the second year in a row, The New York Times has listed the Mysore Palace as one of the 31 must-see places on earth. See, you don't just have to take my word for it! 

Mysore Palace

5. Clean and Green

Mysore has the distinction of being one of the cleanest cities in India and this is very evident when you visit the city. Although the hustle and bustle of endless tourists in and out of Mysore has somewhat dented the clean image, pollution is still noticeably lesser in comparison to other Indian cities. 


Modern infrastructure with good roads and well-planned residential layouts has helped greatly in this regard. The city has very good drainage, sewage and waste disposal systems which can effectively cope with the demands of the population. I've noticed that the people of Mysore also have a relatively good civic sense. 

Driving around Mysore, you don't see people on motorcycles having the need to ride around with a scarf or handkerchief wrapped around their nose and mouth. You don't typically see a lot of overcrowding, littering, overflowing garbage bins or flooding (even during heavy rains). Also, you usually don't witness the eyesore that is the result of relentless construction work. 

There is an abundance of greenery which only adds to the city's appeal. There are several serene parks and picturesque lakes that enhances the beauty of this majestic city. 

Karighatta from Nimishamba

6. A Safe Haven

Mysore is also relatively safe because of its low crime rate. Petty crimes like chain and purse snatching are reported but major crimes seldom occur. As a woman, I feel a lot safer in Mysore than I do in any other Indian city I've been to. 

Steps leading up to Chamundi Hills

7. Mysore Dasara

Mysore is a sight to behold during the 10-day Dasara festival that is generally held during September/October. The spectacular Mysore Palace is illuminated every evening as are a few main streets and circles in the heart of the city. The city transforms into a shimmering wonderland with exhibitions, concerts, sporting events, cultural programs running to packed houses. The highlight of Dasara is the colorful and lively procession which takes place on the last day. 

I have a treasure trove of cherished childhood memories when it comes to Mysore Dasara and every year, I feel a tinge a sadness for not being there to witness the festivities. 

View of the City from Chamundi Hills

8. Major Tourist Hub

There are several tourist attractions within the city which make any visit to Mysore interesting and eventful. There is Mysore Zoo, Brindavan Gardens, Exhibition Grounds, The Mysore Palace, Jaganmohan Palace and Art Gallery, Lalit Mahal Palace, Railway Museum, Chamundi Hills, St Philomena's Church, Karanji Lake to name a few.

Mysore is also the ideal base to explore nearby locations. There are several scenic spots around Mysore that are perfect for day-trips such as Shivanasamudra, Talakadu, Somnathpur, Balmuri falls, Ranganathittu bird sanctuary, Srirangapatna, BR Hills, Gopalaswamy betta, Madikeri, Bandipur and Nagarahole. My childhood is inundated with memories of fun-filled school picnics and family trips to these nearby places and I hope I can follow suit with my children in the future.

Dasara Exhibition Grounds

9. Great Weather 

The weather in Mysore is neither too hot nor too cold - generally pleasant most of the year and humidity is not a major concern. The average temperature can range from 16 deg C to 34 deg C depending on the time of year. The salubrious climate of Mysore is a major plus point. It can get a wee bit hot during summers but being a native of the very hot and humid Udupi and having lived in sultry Singapore for close to a decade, I find the summer heat of Mysore hardly any cause for complaint.

Nandi, Chamundi Hills

10. Friendly Locals

Mysoreans are generally peace-loving, hospitable and helpful people. You will seldom experience hostility from the locals. In all the years that I've lived in this city, I don't remember my family or I getting into skirmishes with any fellow residents. Hey, I'm a Mysorean, and believe me when I say that I'm (mostly) nice (*bats eyelashes*) but be forewarned, you dare speak ill of my beloved Mysore in front of me and you just might witness a human avatar of goddess Chamundeshwari coming dangerously close to inflicting bodily harm on you! 

Devaraja Market

********************************************************************
To sum it up, no matter where I have lived or traveled to so far, Mysore has and will always rank as my most favourite place in the world. Mysore isn't just a place for me - it is an emotion. And it is unsurprising that a majority of Mysoreans feel the same way. The pride that the residents of Mysore take in their city is palpable (we are an annoyingly smug lot). 

The royal city strikes the perfect balance between the old and the new; a modern-day paradox in the making. It offers enough activities for young people and children while still retaining the tranquility for older folks. My love for this city knows no bounds and I am so incredibly grateful for the day that my parents decided to settle down here. 


To anyone planning a trip within India, I heavily recommend Mysore as a must-visit destination. There are so many attractions in and around Mysore to visit that it will make your head spin. Be sure to buy sandalwood products, rosewood souvenirs, Mysore paintings, perfumed incense sticks, coffee powder, Mysore silk sarees and sample the melt-in-your-mouth Mysore Pak. And that folks is just the tip of the iceberg.

Honest to God, you can't help but falling in love with this enchanting city 💖


Cheers,
Megha


Acknowledgement: Thank you to my talented friend Dr. Lakshmi Krishnan for her artwork that has been used extensively in this blog post

Disclaimer: The images in the title picture were obtained from Google images and have been used solely for illustrative purposes

16 comments:

  1. You should rewrite this article so that it can be adapted to all of us Mysoreans in general and name it something like 10 things you will love if you are a Mysorean..
    And then - it will go viral!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What on earth does this comment mean? Have absolutely no idea. 😂

      Delete
  2. Good suggestion Lakshmi. I just wrote it from my perspective not thinking about how much traffic it could drive to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meghaaaaa! Am overwhelmed!! I know these are your words, but they could have been mine too. They echo every single emotion of mine. Sigh.. can't wait to get back to my Mysore. ❤️

      Delete
  3. Lovely post, Megha. Mysore has been on my travel wish-list for a while now and every Dusshera I promise myself that next Dussehra I will definitely travel to Mysore. May be this year. :)

    Cheers, Ragini.
    http://www.frommywindowseat.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reread it again and kept going 'exactly' to all points 😂 Oh and we are surely annoyingly smug! How many ppl detest me for it 😂 When i was writing anecdotes to accompany my Mysore paintings, friends from the neighbouring city said the anecdotes/stories may not be relatable to all. How wrong they are! Somehow, almost all of us have similar childhood memories of Mysore alwa? I think that is what makes us all love the city so much! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lakshmi, you know I ordered your Mysore artworks alwa? I am going to use them to embellish this post. Can't wait to do it!

      Delete
    2. Damn! I have posted the most comments. Love can make you do crazy things. Hahahaha! Thank you for this blog post. And for using my paintings. My day is made!

      Delete
  5. Excellent article.Fantastic place to live
    Proud to be a Mysorean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely article Megha. I am an old timer :)) and have not been to some of the joints that you have mentioned. Movies at woodlands and sterling brought back memories. Mysore is lovely and i with all other Mysore and hope and pray that it remains that way!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. At the rate at which Mysore has been developing and new places have been mushrooming, I myself feel like an old timer every time I visit! I hope in the name of development, the natural old-world charm and traditional beauty of our city is not ruined.

      Delete

What do you think of this post? You can leave a message to let me know. Thanks!

Please note that I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, offensive, spam or self-advertising. I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...