Saturday, October 29, 2016

Deepavali Special: White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Fudge


Wishing all my readers a very happy Deepavali

As soon as the festive season approaches, I am treated to a visual extravaganza of all kinds of delectable sweet treats propping up on social media. Although, I don't have much of a sweet tooth, it never fails to inspire me to get off my butt and get in on the action.

I really wasn't sure how much cooking I could manage this Deepavali. After a busy work week, our household is gearing up to sparkle and shine. Cleaning, tidying and adorning is going on in full swing, the God's mantap and silverware are receiving special attention and resplendent ethnic wear is being taken out and ironed. We have an eventful weekend planned with potlucks and get-togethers with friends followed by my parents impending visit so I have a lot on my plate. But that nagging feeling of not cooking a special dessert continued to hound me and so I ended up making two dishes. One, my favourite (and more traditional) date and mixed nut laddoos and the other, this amazing (and non-traditional) white chocolate cranberry pistachio fudge. 

This fudge is so easy to make that I swear my pint-sized toddlers may be able to manage it in a few years 😆  I swear it took me hardly 25 mins to put together. It is pretty sweet as fudge generally is so keep that in mind before offering it to the sugar-conscious. Speaking of which, I hope my kids don't start bouncing off the walls after eating this. The addition of salt and the slightly tart cranberries helps to offset the sweetness and the pistachios provide delightful nutty bursts. Filled with cheery holiday colors, it looks gorgeous too....makes for the perfect edible gift.

Don't you think so?

i
It is Deepavali and I'm sure you have a lot of things to do so don't let me keep you from all the festivities.....go enjoy this glorious festival of lights with those near and dear. And do think of me if you happen to make (and like) this fudge.

White Chocolate Cranberry Pistachio Fudge

Preparation time: 20 mins; Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 30 min
Makes: 16 pieces
Recipe category: Dessert
Recipe level: Very easy
Recipe source: Adapted from here

Ingredients:
400ml sweetened condensed milk 
500gm white chocolate, chopped 
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
⅛ tsp salt
1 cup dried cranberries, chopped
40gm shelled natural pistachios, chopped
Method:
1. Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.

2. Combine the sweetened condensed milk and chopped white chocolate in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Mix until the chocolate has melted completely and the mixture is smooth and thick.



3. Once smooth, remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and salt.


4. Then stir in the cranberries and chopped pistachios.


5. Pour it into the prepared pan and smooth the surface with a spatula or tap a few times on the counter. Refrigerate for 3 hours, or leave at room temperature overnight.


6. Once set, lift the fudge out of the pan. Cut the fudge into 16 squares. 

Notes:
  • You can use white chocolate chips instead of a chopped block of white chocolate
  • You can substitute other nuts instead of pistachios but the addition of pistachios gives the fudge those lovely pops of green
  • I would suggest cutting the fudge into smaller pieces so the sweetness won't get overwhelming
  • The fudge can be stored for about 8-10 days at room temperature

Cheers,
Megha

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post? You can leave a message to let me know. Thanks!

Please note that I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, offensive, spam or self-advertising. I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...