Monday, March 11, 2024

Cafe review: Falafel Jee @Church Street, Bengaluru


I love Mediterranean food. I have several favourite dishes from Levantine, Italian and Greek cuisine in particular. Focussing on the former, if you have read my recipe post on Mezze platter, you would know how much I enjoy the diverse assortment of dips, pita bread, falafel, crudites, salads, dried fruit, nut and honey based desserts among others. 

When I received an invite to checkout Falafel Jee, a new Lebanese owned Mediterranean vegetarian cafe & deli located at Church Street in Bengaluru, there were three reasons that compelled me to accept. One, given my lack of regular content in the months since my relocation to India, I was surprised that anyone was even reading my blog. Two, I have a profound appreciation for Mediterranean food as I just mentioned. Three, being a retrophile, bibliophile and foodie at heart, I need absolutely no excuse to go to Church Street! With cobblestone pathways winding through a street lined with charming buildings that whisper stories of a bygone era, bookstores galore, the aromas of artisan coffee and delectable cuisines wafting through the air, this place is at the heart of Bengaluru's vibrant culture and is a place that greatly appeals to my sensibilities. 

The small quaint eatery housed in Pavilion Mall directly across Blossoms book house boasts a great location on Church Street. Conveniently accessible, especially for those using the Bengaluru metro, it is just a short walk from MG Road station, proceeding towards the Church Street exit.


The cafe offers a selection of vegetarian Mediterranean delights. Handmade with love, the folks at Falafel Jee take pride in the transformation of carefully curated seasonal vegetables and local grains. The USP of this cafe is in-house baked pitas and preservative-free dressings

The space is clean and well-maintained. There is limited seating inside the cafe but that is understandable considering that this eatery is primarily meant for take-away. In the evenings especially, when the weather is cooler, it would be rather nice to grab a bite to eat and walk along lively Church Street and Brigade road. 

We were welcomed by the genial hostess with a basil fresh punch which was a blend of basil and arugula leaves. I like how this drink was refreshing and had just a subtle hint of sweetness which is how I prefer it. 


First we tried a falafel bowl which has a bed of millets at the bottom. On top of that went fresh spinach leaves, creamy hummus, an earthy beetroot tahini, spicy harissa and flavourful falafel. With fresh flavours and interesting textures, the dish felt wholesome, colorful and tasty at the same time. 


We then tried the falafel pita pocket with the same ingredients packed into it. If I was going for a light grab and go lunch, I would go for the bowl and if I wanted something quick but substantial, I would opt for the pita pocket. 


We had a trio of desserts - apple pie, a chocolate chip cookie and vegan chocolate mousse. Although all three desserts were good, our favourite was the chocolate mousse because we found it hard to believe that it was vegan. I'd say the taste, texture and indulgence quotient was on par with a really well-made chocolate mousse that I have eaten at any fancy restaurant so far.



We finished our meal with Zhuraat which is a herbal blend tea, a mix of dried flowers and herbs. This is a caffeine-free beverage. With ingredients like chamomile, fennel and rose hips, we found this drink very aromatic and calming on the nerves. 



Except for some of the desserts and breads, we were told that most dishes served are vegan. Falafel Jee has sourdough bread, croissants, focaccia and cinnamon rolls available for ordering. 

I was accompanied by two of my cousins and I can speak for all of us when I say that we had a lovely afternoon enjoying pleasant conversation and good food while witnessing the bustling energy, eclectic mix of shops, cafes, and historical landmarks of the iconic Church street. 

Next time you are in Bengaluru's Central Business District, do check out Falafel Jee for their healthy and affordable Mediterranean offerings. I know I will 😊

Falafel Jee
Address: 
62/63, Church Street
Haridevpur, Shanthala Nagar
Ashok Nagar
Bengaluru
Karnataka 560001




Cheers,
Megha


Disclaimer: This was an invited tasting. I have not accepted any monetary compensation to write this review. All opinions are honest and my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post? You can leave a message to let me know. Thanks!

Please note that I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, offensive, spam or self-advertising. I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...