Saturday, July 16, 2011

Movie review: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 2)


If you have read some of my previous posts, you will know that I am a die-hard Harry Potter fan. I have read each book more than 4 times and watched each movie umpteen times! The books are far better than the movies though; there is no question about that. I have always felt that a movie can never do justice to a writer’s brilliance. I can’t help but wonder if people who haven’t read any of the books can really understand what’s going on.

After watching Part 1 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows (which I absolutely loved), I was waiting eagerly to watch the grand finale. Unsurprisingly, I went to watch it on the same day of its release with great anticipation. I came out of the cinema hall with mixed reactions. There were parts of the movie that I thought were stunning and parts that really got on my nerves! There is one thing that I simply cannot stand about any good franchise is the filmmakers deviating from the original story, no matter how minor a change. I think the reason I liked Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 more than any of the other Harry Potter movies was that it stayed true to the book until the very end. To be fair, the filmmakers of this movie did stick to the original story for the most part but it was the minor changes in the plot that I didn’t like. For instance, if Harry suddenly starts getting flashes of the location of the Horcruxes, what was he doing in the first part of movie??? Or, why was the killing of Nagini so exaggerated? Or even why focus so much on the character of Neville towards the end? I would have liked to have seen more emphasis given to the main crux of the story which revolved round the Hallows and Horcruxes. I also felt that the emotional scenes failed to touch a cord and the climax of the battle between Voldemort and Harry fell short of expectations. I also found the “After 19 years” segment unintentionally funny. I wish the filmmakers had used the make-up team from The Curious Case of Benjamin Button! 

On the upside, the scenes of breaking into Gringotts, the duel between McGonagall and Snape, the initiation of the battle, the memories of the pensive and the dream sequence with Dumbledore have been beautifully shot. As always, the actors have given their best. The greatest improvement is from Daniel Radcliffe who has over the years, evolved into a smart young actor. Ralph Fiennes who plays the character of Voldemort is as chilling and menacing as he has been in the past. Few others could have played this part as well. Also the music and background score have been dealt with exceptionally well.

I am quite sad to bid a final farewell to the series that has had me hooked for more than 10 years! It was great while it lasted.  For those of you who haven’t watched it please do but do yourselves a favor and read the books first!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post? You can leave a message to let me know. Thanks!

Please note that I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, offensive, spam or self-advertising. I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...