Saturday, July 23, 2011

Recipe of the month - Samosa


This weekend, I thought I’d make samosas at home from scratch. I love samosas and usually eat them whenever I’m out at Indian restaurants. I generally feel quite lazy to prepare them at home! On the occasions that I have prepared them at home, I’d take the easy way out by preparing the filling and then use the store bought samosa sheets to wrap them in. This time I thought why not do everything myself. It was not as time consuming as I thought it would be. In fact, I’d say it almost didn’t take much extra time or effort :)

Here is my samosa recipe. This is the way my atthe (mother-in-law) makes them. If you notice, the filling is very simple and I actually prefer it that way. I don’t like a hundred ingredients crammed into a samosa. I also don’t like samosas with fillings that are an alarming shade of yellow or orange! But then again, something like a samosa filling is very subjective so you can modify the recipe based on your preferences. 

Preparation time: 1 hour (Level: Intermediate)
Serves: 4-5

Ingredients:

For the outer covering:

1 cup plain flour (maida)
2 tbsp corn flour
¼ cup warm oil
Salt to taste
Water to knead dough

For the filling:

5-6 potatoes boiled and mashed
1 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 cup green peas
1 large finely chopped onion
3-4 minced green chillies
1 pod minced garlic
1 large bunch finely chopped coriander
1/2 lemon, juice extracted
A pinch of turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala (optional)
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying

Method:

1. For the dough: mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Add water little by little, kneading into soft pliable dough. Cover with a damp cloth and keep aside for 15-20 minutes.
2. For the filling: heat oil and add cumin seeds. Once they start to splutter, add green chilli and garlic. Fry for a minute and then add onion and sauté till light brown. Add squeezed lemon, turmeric, salt, red chilli and garam masala powder. Stir fry for 2 min. Now add the boiled and mashed potatoes and peas. Stir for further 2 minutes. Add the coriander leaves. Keep aside to cool.
3. Make a thin 5" diam. round with some dough.
4. Cut into two semi-circles. Fold as illustrated in the diagram. 

Image source: Photobucket.com

5. Place the filling in the cone and seal (use water to moisten the edge and press together).
6. Drop in hot oil, deep fry on low to medium till light brown. Drain on paper towels.
7. Serve hot with the chutney/sauce of your choice.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I guess the dish has already become a hit ......... your creativity is genuine and amazing..... love it....
    Conference Centre Manchester

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of this post? You can leave a message to let me know. Thanks!

Please note that I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, offensive, spam or self-advertising. I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...