Saturday, August 1, 2015

Recipe of the Month: Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup


I said I would be back with the Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup Copycat recipe and here it is. See....I keep my word, don't I? If you read my previous recipe post on Quick and Easy Bread Bowls, you will know what I am talking about. If not, then go read it right away so that I don't have to recap 😊

Soups are a labour of love. They usually take time and effort to make but in the end, the satisfaction of enjoying a hot, piquant bowl of goodness makes it worthwhile. As I've mentioned before, I am partial to creamy soups - chunky or smooth. To me, they are comforting, heartwarming and therapeutic. The best way to fulfill the appetite, nourish the soul and revive the spirit.

I have used plenty of delectable adjectives to describe this particular soup in my previous post so I won't go on about how luscious and creamy and cheesy and yummy it is (oops! there I go again). This sure is a soup but it is no diet food believe me. It has butter, cream and a ton of cheese so it is pretty heavy. And if you decide to go ahead and serve it in the bread bowls, it does fill you up even more. I was gasping for air after I was done with my soup-filled bread bowl. This is so satiating that it is more than a main course in itself. If you are planning to serve this soup as an appetizer, go easy on the portion and you could probably skip the bread bowls for a later time when you decide to serve it as a main course.

I finally have a soup recipe on my blog and I'm so glad it is this one that made the debut. I will be on the hunt for more great soup recipes to join the club  😊


So, what are you waiting for? Go make this soup right away. You can thank me at leisure 😁

Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Soup Copycat Recipe

Preparation time: 30 min
Makes: 4 servings
Recipe category: Main course/American
Recipe level: Easy
Recipe source: Adapted from here

Ingredients:

1/2 stick (1/4 cup) of butter 
1/2 of a medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups half and half (or 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of heavy cream)
3 cups stock of your choice (the original recipe calls for chicken stock but you can use vegetable stock as well)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 bay leaves
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped small
4 cups (about 1 head) broccoli florets 
2 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese 
Salt and pepper to taste
Bread bowls (Recipe Here)

Method:

1. Cook the butter, onion, and garlic on about medium heat until tender. 


2. Add the carrot and fry for a 3-4 mins. Add in the broccoli and simmer until tender. 



3. Slowly add the half and half and the stock. Mix the cornstarch with a little bit of water until there are no lumps and add it to the rest. Add the nutmeg and bay leaves and cook on medium low until thickened.


4. Discard the bay leaves. Add the cheese and stir until melted. 


5. Season with salt and pepper and serve in bread bowls. 



Notes: 
  • You can puree the soup if you prefer a smooth texture
  • I spread a little bit of room temperature butter on the insides of the bread bowl before ladling in the soup. I don't think it is necessary to do that - the bread bowls hold the soup really well so don't worry about that
  • Serve the soup filled bread bowls with a large sharp edged spoon so you can scoop out the bread along with the soup


Cheers,
Megha

1 comment:

What do you think of this post? You can leave a message to let me know. Thanks!

Please note that I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, offensive, spam or self-advertising. I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...